Hardwood flooring is one of the most popular and fastest growing floor covering choices for homeowners in Northern Virginia. The natural characteristics of wood add depth and a visual appearance that many other types of floors cannot duplicate. Visually rich and inviting hardwood floors can add real value to your home. And, hardwood types, options, and applications are more diverse than ever. Manufacturers now have the ability to produce better quality finishes and superior construction techniques. The result is that hardwood floors can be installed throughout the home and over a wide variety of sub-floors.
HERE ARE SOME HARDWOOD FLOORING ADVANTAGES
- It is one of America’s most popular floors
- It is versatile
- It tends to add warmth and character to any room
- The appearance is rich and inviting
- It’s easy to maintain
- Hardwood floors add value to your home when reselling
- The selection of hardwood floor types is diverse
CHOICES FOR NOTHERN VIRGINIA HARDWOOD FLOORING
Engineered Hardwood Floors: Engineered hardwood is a versatile and resilient flooring option that can be installed in most areas of your home. Made of genuine wood, this flooring gives your home an updated look and feel. Engineered hardwood is made of a core of hardwood or plywood with a layer of hardwood veneer affixed to the top surface. It’s more resistant to moisture and heat compared to solid hardwood.
Solid Hardwood Floors: Unlike engineered hardwood, solid hardwood flooring is made from solid pieces with tongue and groove sides. Since it’s a natural product, it will expand and contract with seasonal changes. When installing a solid hardwood floor, it’s important to leave expansion room around the perimeter, particular in regions like Northern Virginia, where we experience seasonal climate changes.
TYPES OF WOOD USED IN HARDWOOD FLOORING
Unfinished Wood Flooring Characteristics:
- Enables a custom installation
- The wood species can be selected
- Unfinished flooring is sanded and stained on site
- It’s possible to level the surface after installation
- There is no extended finish warranty
Pre-finished Wood Flooring Characteristics:
- Boards already sanded, stained and finished
- Harder, better-protected surface
- Wider variety of wood species to choose from
- Less hours of labor and cleanup
- Extended finish warranty
- Arrives on site ready for installation
HARDWOOD FLOORING RESTORATION SERVICES
At UFDC, we offer dustless sanding and refinishing for our Northern Virginia clients: This process rejuvenates the wood, while substantially reducing the amount of dust created. After the sanding process has been completed, we offer two types of finishes: oil-based polyurethane and waterborne polyurethane. There are advantages to each option, which we will discuss with you during the on-site visit.